MSc/Diploma in Actuarial Science
Department of Actuarial Mathematics and Statistics
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I choose Heriot-Watt?
--> Return to the other frequently asked
- The MSc/Diploma in Actuarial Science will get your career as
an actuary off to a flying start.
- The course can lead to exemption from all of subjects CT1 to CT8 of the Institute of Actuaries and of the Faculty of Actuaries.
- The University has one of the finest campuses in the United Kingdom:
- a beautiful parkland setting;
- a peaceful environment free from the noise and pollution of
a city centre;
- shops (including general store and Blackwell's bookshop), restaurants, a bank (RBOS), and two cashpoints (one provided by RBOS);
- a 24 hour computer room;
- extensive on-campus medical and dental services;
- a very well equipped sports centre and a new Sports Academy.
- The university can guarantee you a place in one of the modern residences,
just minutes walk from the department.
- The current staff of the
department (30 in total) includes 9 Fellows of the Faculty of Actuaries or of
the Institute of Actuaries (together with 21 statisticians and financial mathematicians). The actuaries are:
- active in many areas of research, both theoretical and practical;
- active within the UK profession through participation in working
parties, examination and education.
- The department has a reputation as being one of the leading international
centres of research in Actuarial Science in the world - note the most recent Research Assessment Exercise rating - an excellent grade 5.
- Most students on the course live on campus - this encourages a happy group atmosphere amongst the students.