MSc/Diploma in Actuarial Science
Department of Actuarial Mathematics and Statistics
Frequently Asked Questions
What sources of funding are available?
--> Return to the other FAQs
- Some insurance companies were willing in the past to sponsor students
on the course. UK companies normally only sponsored UK students and
expected them to work for them for at least two years after completing the
- The School (MACS) runs a scheme of scholarships for overseas students - 15% off fees - criteria are academic ability and need - strictly limited number available.
- Students from Northern Ireland can sometimes apply for partial grants
from the Education and Library boards.
- Some students take out Career Development loans from a bank.
- Some foreign students have an employer or a university sponsoring them.
- The British Council can often give advice to foreign students
about alternative sources of funding.
- UK students from Scotland, England or Wales do not qualify for
grants or studentships from their local education authorities or
from the government research councils.
Roger Gray/ Heriot-Watt University / R.J.Gray@ma.hw.ac.uk