Department of Mathematics, School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
Professor A A Lacey FRSE
Andrew Lacey is in the
Mathematics Department of Heriot-Watt University where he has worked since 1982. Before
that he was at Oxford University as an undergraduate, graduate student, and
postdoctoral research fellow of the
Royal Commission for the Exhibition of
1851. He also spent eighteen months as a research fellow at the Victoria
University of Wellington, New Zealand.
Professional Membership and Responsibilities
- Free-boundary problems.
- Phase transitions.
- Reaction diffusion equations.
- Blow-up of parabolic problems (including problems with non-local terms).
- Industrial applied mathematics (currently: linear friction welding, fire spread,
bread-crust formation, pipe bending, green roofs).
- Mathematics applied to society (e.g. housing allocation, crime).
- Asymptotic methods.
Present research students
- Michalis Tsardakas (2012 - present): Mathematical Modelling of Crime.
- Aisha Al Qahtani (2013 - present): Numerical Approximation of Heterogeneous Porous Media Flow.
- Tim Simmons (2013 - present): Mathematical Analysis of some Models for Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems.
- N.I.Kavallaris, A.A.Lacey, C.V.Nikolopoulos and D.E.Tzanetis, On the Quenching Behaviour of a Semilinear Wave Equation Modelling MEMS Technology, Discrete Cts. Dynam. Sys. -Ser. A, 2014.
- C.C.Adley, M.J.Cooker, G.L.Fay, I.Hewitt, A.A.Lacey, N.Mellgren, M.Robinson and M.Vynnycky, A Mathematical Model of the Rainwater Flows in a Green Roof, Maths. Ind. Case Stud., 2014.
- A.A.Lacey, Passage of High-Frequency Signals through Power Transformers, Intl. J. Num. Anal. Model. B, 2012, 3, 224 - 241.
- D.A.Fidler and A.A.Lacey, Dynamics of Vertical Fire Spread, IMA J. Appl. Maths., 2012, 78, 1 - 27.
- A.A.Lacey and C.Voong, Steady-State Mathematical Models of Linear Friction Welding, Q. J. Mechs. Appl Maths.,
2012, 65, 211-237.
- S.D.Howison, A.A.Lacey and J.R.Ockendon,
Partial Differential Equations that are Hard to Classify, 2012,
Jl. Part. Diff. Eqs., 25, 41-65.
- N.I.Kavallaris, A.A.Lacey, C.V. Nikolopoulos and D.E.Tzanetis,
A Hyperbolic Non-Local Problem Modelling MEMS Technology, 2011,
Rocky Mountain Jl. Maths., 41, 505-534.
- A.A.Lacey, How Do Fish-Food Pellets Float?, 2008,
CIM Bulletin, 25, 10-17.
- N.I.Kavallaris, A.A.Lacey, C.V. Nikolopoulos and C.Voong, Behaviour of a non-local equation modelling linear friction welding, 2007,
IMA Jl. Appl. Maths., 72, 597-616.
- N.I.Kavallaris, A.A.Lacey, C.V. Nikolopoulos and D.E.Tzanetis, Asymptotic analysis and estimates of blow-up time for the radial symmetric semilinear heat equation in the open-spectrum case, 2007,
Math. Meth. Appl. Sci., 30, 1507-1526.
- D.R.Jefferson, A.A.Lacey and P.A.Sadd, Crust Density in Bread Baking: Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Solutions, 2007,
Appl. Math. Mod., 31, 209-225.
- P.D.Howell, A.A.Lacey, J.Vogler and A.Vonsild, Mathematical Analysis of the Dynamic Flow Characteristic in a Damping Nozzle for a Pressure Transmitter, 2006,
Jl. Phys.: Conf. Ser., 52, 83-96.
- A.A.Lacey and C.V.Nikolopoulos, A One-Dimensional Model for Polymer Melting During Modulated Temperature Differential Scanning Calorimetry, 2006,
IMA Jl. Appl. Maths., 71, 186-209.
- D.R.Jefferson, A.A.Lacey and P.A.Sadd, Understanding Crust Formation During Baking, 2006,
Jl. Food Eng., 75, 515-521.
- J.W.Bebernes and A.A.Lacey, Shear Band Formation for a Non-Local Model of Thermo-Viscoelastic Flows, 2005,
Adv. Math. Sci. Appl., 15, 265-282.
Last updated 14th July 2014.