Department of Mathematics, School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
Professor A A Lacey FRSE
Andrew Lacey is in the
Mathematics Department of Heriot-Watt University where he has worked since 1982, now part-time (60%). Before
that he was at Oxford University as an undergraduate, graduate student, and
postdoctoral research fellow of the
Royal Commission for the Exhibition of
1851. He also spent eighteen months as a research fellow at the Victoria
University of Wellington, New Zealand.
Professional Membership and Responsibilities
- Free-boundary problems.
- Phase transitions.
- Reaction diffusion equations.
- Blow-up of parabolic problems (including problems with non-local terms).
- Industrial applied mathematics (currently: linear friction welding, fire spread,
bread-crust formation, pipe bending, green roofs).
- Mathematics applied to society (e.g. housing allocation, crime).
- Asymptotic methods.
Present research students
- Runan He (2017 - present): Analysis of a Coupled PDE System Modelling Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems. (Co-supervised with Heiko Gimperlein.)
- David Torkington (MIGSAA) (2017 - present): Mathematical Modelling of Energetic Materials. (Co-supervised with Heiko Gimperlein.)
- A.A.Lacey and M.N.Tsardakas, A Mathematical Model of Serious and Minor
Eu. Jl. Appl. Maths., 2016, 27(3), 403-421.
- N.I.Kavallaris, A.A.Lacey and C.V.Nikolopoulos, On the Quenching of a Nonlocal Parabolic Problem
Arising in Electrostatic MEMS Control,
Nonlinear Analysis: Th. Meth. Appl., 2016, 138, 189-206.
- Rakesh, J.Tang and A.A.Lacey, Determining the twist in an optical fiber,
Inverse Problems, 2016, 32, 035008.
- I.J.Hewitt, A.A.Lacey and R.I.Todd, A Mathematical model for flash sintering,
Math. Model. Nat. Phenom., 2015, 10(6), 77-89.
- A.A.Lacey and C.Voong, Transient Thermal Behaviour in a Model of Linear Friction Welding,
Jl. Eng. Maths., 2014, 86, 89-101.
- N.I.Kavallaris, A.A.Lacey, C.V.Nikolopoulos and D.E.Tzanetis, On the Quenching Behaviour of a Semilinear Wave Equation Modelling MEMS Technology, Discrete Cts. Dynam. Sys. -Ser. A, 2015, 35, 1009-1037.
- C.C.Adley, M.J.Cooker, G.L.Fay, I.Hewitt, A.A.Lacey, N.Mellgren, M.Robinson and M.Vynnycky, A Mathematical Model of the Rainwater Flows in a Green Roof, Maths. Ind. Case Stud., 2014,
- A.A.Lacey, Passage of High-Frequency Signals through Power Transformers, Intl. J. Num. Anal. Model. B, 2012, 3, 224 - 241.
- D.A.Fidler and A.A.Lacey, Dynamics of Vertical Fire Spread, IMA J. Appl. Maths., 2012, 78, 1 - 27.
- A.A.Lacey and C.Voong, Steady-State Mathematical Models of Linear Friction Welding, Q. J. Mechs. Appl Maths.,
2012, 65, 211-237.
- S.D.Howison, A.A.Lacey and J.R.Ockendon,
Partial Differential Equations that are Hard to Classify, 2012,
Jl. Part. Diff. Eqs., 25, 41-65.
- N.I.Kavallaris, A.A.Lacey, C.V. Nikolopoulos and D.E.Tzanetis,
A Hyperbolic Non-Local Problem Modelling MEMS Technology, 2011,
Rocky Mountain Jl. Maths., 41, 505-534.
- A.A.Lacey, How Do Fish-Food Pellets Float?, 2008,
CIM Bulletin, 25, 10-17.
- N.I.Kavallaris, A.A.Lacey, C.V. Nikolopoulos and C.Voong, Behaviour of a non-local equation modelling linear friction welding, 2007,
IMA Jl. Appl. Maths., 72, 597-616.
- N.I.Kavallaris, A.A.Lacey, C.V. Nikolopoulos and D.E.Tzanetis, Asymptotic analysis and estimates of blow-up time for the radial symmetric semilinear heat equation in the open-spectrum case, 2007,
Math. Meth. Appl. Sci., 30, 1507-1526.
- D.R.Jefferson, A.A.Lacey and P.A.Sadd, Crust Density in Bread Baking: Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Solutions, 2007,
Appl. Math. Mod., 31, 209-225.
Last updated 13th September 2017.