How to move MH mail back to the IMAP server
How to move MH mail to the IMAP server
For a number of reasons, you may find that you want to move
your old MH mail to the IMAP server. One common cause is that you
accidentally type "inc", thus removing all your mail from the server.
You can move your mail back to the IMAP server with the pine program.
First, run pine:
Then, follow these directions:
1. To move your mail, you'll have to enable an advanced option first:
Type 'M' to get back to the Main Menu. Go to 'Setup', then
'Config'. Find the feature named "enable-aggregate-command-set",
and set it.
2. [E]xit the config screen, and go back to the Message [I]ndex of
3. Go to your old MH inbox, or whichever folder you want to copy
your mail from. Press the semicolon [;] key to start the
4. For SELECT criteria :, choose [A] for to select All messages.
5. When you have the messages selected, use the [A]pply command to
tell pine to [S]ave all of the messages at once.
6. You can use the ^T option to browse the folders at this point, or
just type in INBOX
7. You will get the message: [n messages saved and deleted]
8. Just to be safe, don't expunge these messages until you're sure
that they've been moved over correctly
9. Go to [M]ain Menu, and then to Folder [L]ist, and then to the
MIT Mail INBOX
10. Your messages should be there (You may have to hit the down
arrow once to refresh the screen.)
If you have many hundreds of messsages it could take a while, so be
You can then use any mail program that uses the IMAP protocol to read
all of your mail. On Athena, this includes pine and evolution:
athena% evolution &
MIT Information Systems also provides a Webmail
service, which uses IMAP:
Finally, you can also read your IMAP mail using Outlook Express and
Eudora, and most other non-Athena mail clients.