Developing an Online Parallel Haskell Programming Tutorial
Phone: 0131 451 3435
Principal goal of the project:
To develop a web-based tutorial for parallel programming in parallel Haskell
Haskell is an advanced functional programming language with a rapidly
expanding user base. With the advent of multi- and many-cores,
existing Haskell programmers must adapt to parallel programming. The
purpose of this project is to provide an online tutorial on parallel
concepts, and how to develop and tune parallel Haskell programs. An existing
tutorial on parallel Haskell on a specific cluster is available .
The objectives of the project are as follows.
- To author an web materials on key parallelism concepts
- To develop tutorial material explaining how to download, compile and run parallel Haskell programs
- To author a series of exercises to develop parallel programming skills
- To develop tutorial materials on a methodology for developing parallel Haskell programs.
- To author tutorial materials on key elements of the methodology, namely
* how to profile the parallel program, and how to interpret profiles
* how to tune the parallel program for performance
A multicore platform
GHC Haskell (free to download)
Degree of difficulty:
Familiarity with a functional language
A basic understanding of parallel computation
Coursework authoring skills