- To impart knowledge and understanding of the theories, principles and protocols underlying the primary network applications on the Internet
- To develop the ability to appreciate critically the range of network application technologies and standards
- To develop skills in a range of the principal network technologies, to impart the main design and practical issues faced in their application, and confer the ability to select and apply relevant techniques for a given network application development problem.
- To have students creatively develop in teams a substantial network application involving web and application server technologies to an original design of their own
Pre-requisites: Reasonable software development skills in Java and basic knowledge of data communications and the web..
Location: Dubai, Edinburgh.
Learning Outcomes: Subject Mastery
Understanding, Knowledge and Cognitive Skills Scholarship, Enquiry and Research (Research-Informed Learning)
- Extensive, detailed and critical knowledge and understanding of the theories, techniques and principles underlying the design of network applications and the range of their application
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of the major network application types including email, web and chat applications and services
- Critical awareness of protocols and standards underlying key network applications especially the web and of enabling technologies for network applications such as sockets, DNS, XML
Learning Outcomes: Personal Abilities
Industrial, Commercial & Professional Practice Autonomy, Accountability & Working with Others Communication, Numeracy & ICT
- Skills in selecting, applying and evaluating apt technologies in a professional way given a problem requiring network interaction
- Ability to build on initial skills and knowledge by independent research using online resources
- Showing initiative, creativity and team working skills in shared network application development
Assessment: Examination: (weighting – 60%) Coursework: (weighting – 40%)
Re-assessment: Examination (MSc only): (weighting – 100%)
SCQF Level: 11.