Murdoch Gabbay teaching pages
Hello and welcome to my Heriot-Watt teaching pages. If you spot errors, drop me an e-mail.
- Everybody calls me Jamie.
- m typeadot gabbay at hw ac don’ttypethis uk
- Office phone
- +44 (0)131 451 3425
- Office fax
- +44 (0)131 451 3327
- G.50 Earl Mountbatten Building. See pdf and jpg campus maps. Careful: it’s a maze, so plan your route or bring provisions and a compass.
- MACS switchboard if I don’t pick up (it’s not personal)
- +44 (0)131 451 4156
- Address for actual physical envelopes that you have to seal shut
- Dependable Systems Group
Computer Science Department
School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
EDINBURGH EH14 4AS
In Semester 1, 2017/18 I am lecturing the Programming Languages course to second year computer science students.
Lecture times are as follows:
- Thursday at 11:15 in JW2.
- Thursday at 13:15 in EM250 (lab).
- Friday at 09:15 in PG201.
- Friday at 13:15 in PGG01.
- The webpage for last year’s course.
- Some comments on how to answer the question.
- Some comments on how to answer a programming question.
- A poem on programming.
- A talk on easy recording of lectures.
Lectures times for weeks 1-6 were as follows:
- Mondays at 14:15 in EM3.36.
- Tuesdays at 10:15 in EM2.44.
- Tuesdays at 14:15 in EM1.82.
- There are also labs. I will discuss this in lectures.
See also the webpage for last year’s course.
Web Design and Databases
Lectures times were as follows:
- Mondays at 12:15 in LT2.
- Mondays (lab) at 13:15 in EM2.50.
- Wednesdays at 12:15 in EM3.36.
Possibly interesting links
Every so often I stumble on some webpage that seems relevant to a course I am teaching. So, students (and other visitors to this webpage) might be interested in the following links:
- On weak versus strong typing from Stevey’s Drunken Blog Rants.
- Musings on whether Python has strong or weak typing. Of most interest perhaps is that the question is even asked.
- Quite a nice article (one of many) on problem shapes by Matt Might.
Technical writing and dissertations (F20PA, F21RP)
- Yankovic’s Youtube video on Word Crimes.
- Kurt Vonnegut on how to write with style.
- Kevin Plaxco on the art of writing science.
- George Orwell on the English language.
- Elements of style
I am a lecturer in theoretical computer science. My research is mostly in formal logic. You can find my my academic publications. I have also written some tips on writing papers and managing co-authors.
I missed my ten-year university reunion because my Alma Mater booked it for Yom Kippur. Likewise for my final school graduation.
If you book important functions during the high holy days of Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur then you force many Jews to exclude themselves, even those that are otherwise not particularly religious.
- Yom Kippur dates
- Rosh Hashana dates
Observent Jews will also not turn up on Shabbat (any Saturday), Sukkot, Chanukkah, Purim, and Passover.
- Introduction to Jewish holidays
- Holiday dates for the next five years
- Jewish calendar 2016, 2017, 2018
These pages were coded using Jekyll.
Fonts used on this webpage are:
- Roboto Slab by Christian Robertson. At the time of writing he is the lead visual designer for Android (so if you use an Android phone, you’re using his vision).
- Inconsolata by Raph Levien, who has also worked on Gnome, Gimp, Gtk+, Ghostscript (a precursor to pdf), and other stuff that starts with G.