- To impart an understanding of e-Commerce technology and of how Information Systems play a fundamental role in shaping e-Commerce;
- To provide technical know-how for developing, managing and evaluating the different types of e-Commerce;
- To provide analytical skills to examine and optimise the technical aspects of e-Commerce;
- To equip students with skills for the effective implementation of cyber-security measures to protect e-Commerce platforms, following industry standards;
- To enable students to acquire knowledge in using data analytics to support the e-marketing and CRM components of e-Commerce;
- To provide a description of technological challenges and innovations in e-Commerce;
- To impart an understanding of the integration and the interoperability aspects of e-Commerce in the whole business system.
Course Description: Link to Official Course Descriptor.
Location: Dubai, Edinburgh.
- Introduction to e-Commerce and overview of its technology
- E-Commerce technologies:
- Web architectures and Infrastructures (e.g. web services and cloud computing)
- Enterprise Data Management (e.g. centralised and distributed databases)
- Data Analysis and Modelling in E-Commerce
- Machine Learning, Recommender Systems and Personalisation
- E-Marketing Strategies
- Security risks in e-Commerce processes. Implementation of security industry standards
- E-Commerce management:
- Business Process Modelling Languages
- Types of E-Commerce and Revenue models
- E-Commerce workflow, merchant transactions and order fulfilment
- Supply Chain Management and Demand Chain Management
- Crypto-currency and Digital Payment Systems
- Legal, Ethical and Tax Issues in E-Commerce
Learning Outcomes: Subject Mastery
Understanding, Knowledge and Cognitive Skills Scholarship, Enquiry and Research (Research-Informed Learning)
• Critical understanding of the different types of business models, revenue models and business systems used in e- Commerce;
• In-depth and practical knowledge of the use of web related technologies that enable e-Commerce applications;
• Insights into the implementation of strategic and standard security measures to protect e-Commerce platforms;
• Demonstrate comprehension and practice in the application of data analytics to enable rich customer experience.
Learning Outcomes: Personal Abilities
Industrial, Commercial & Professional Practice Autonomy, Accountability & Working with Others Communication, Numeracy & ICT
• Can deal with complex issues and make informed judgements about the use of web based technologies in e-Commerce;
• Exercise substantial autonomy, initiative and creativity in the application of technologies for the development of
e- Commerce applications;
• Can communicate and work with peers, more senior colleagues and specialists and demonstrate critical reflection (PDP);
• Can independently carry out research based on literatures in the field of e-Commerce technology;
• Can evaluate real-world e-Commerce and propose technical solutions to different business scenarios.
Assessment Methods: Due to covid, assessment methods for Academic Year 2021/22 may vary from those noted on the official course descriptor. Please see:
- Maths (F1) Course Weightings 2021/22
- Computer Science (F2) Course Weightings 2021/22
- AMS (F7) Course Weightings 2021/22
SCQF Level: 10.