To develop programming skills and techniques specific to the area of 2D and 3D computer game.
Course Description: Link to Official Course Descriptor.
Pre-requisites: C++ programming skills.
Location: Dubai, Edinburgh.
- Computer Games Design Concepts (Genres, Narrative and Fun).
- Elements of Game Design (Formal, Dramatic and System Dynamics).
- Character and World Design.
- Design Programming Patterns (Input, loops, structures, objects and optimisation).
- Games Creation Concepts (Conceptualisation, Prototyping, Playtesting).
- Game-state, simulator, renderer, (hierarchical) controllers.
- Tools, environments and coding practices– e.g. graphics, C++ and engines.
- 2D and 3D game programming techniques.
- Physically-based modelling, particle systems, flocking.
- Obstacle avoidance and path planning.
- Group movement.
- Learning and adaptation in games.
- Action and behaviour selection.
- Procedural Generation.
- Course summary and review.
Learning Outcomes: Subject Mastery
Understanding, Knowledge and Cognitive Skills Scholarship, Enquiry and Research (Research-Informed Learning)
- Understanding of game theory and computer game history, genres and impact
- Understanding of game design concepts, elements and characters.
- Understanding of available tools and their application
- Knowledge of algorithms for path planning and navigation
- Knowledge of physically-based modelling in games and selection of techniques
- Knowledge of AI techniques in games and selection of techniques
- Ability to understand, design and implement a small-scale game using 2D and 3D tools
- Practical skills in graphics and AI programming in the computer games context
Learning Outcomes: Personal Abilities
Industrial, Commercial & Professional Practice Autonomy, Accountability & Working with Others Communication, Numeracy & ICT
- Representation of, planning for, and solution of problems.
- Ability to plan, design, prototype and communicate a game.
- Ability to think and plan in three dimensions.
- Team working skills.
Assessment: Examination: (weighting – 50%) Coursework: (weighting – 50%)
SCQF Level: 10.