- To equip students with a detailed and critical understanding of the processes and methodologies required for the analysis, specification and design of database systems and information systems, and the inter-relationship between such systems.
- To provide the students with practical experience in designing, building and using databases, and critical awareness in the development and deployment of databases and information systems within organisations.
Course Description: Link to Official Course Descriptor.
Pre-requisites: Undergraduate experience of database technologies, at least at application level. Numerate background..
Location: Dubai, Edinburgh.
- Introduction to Information Systems;
- Domain and Types of Information Systems;
- Databases and Database Management System Concepts;
- Data Modelling & Database Design;
- Relational Data Model
- SQL Language and Constructs;
- Database connectivity
- Emerging database technologies: e.g .XML, Data Warehousing, alternative database models
Learning Outcomes: Subject Mastery
Understanding, Knowledge and Cognitive Skills Scholarship, Enquiry and Research (Research-Informed Learning)
- Extensive, detailed and critical understanding of the nature, scope and boundaries of data models and database management systems, in relational and XML paradigms.
- Both theoretical and practical knowledge of methodologies for specification and design of databases.
- Skill in the use of software tools and languages for database design, development and management.
- A critical understanding of and practical skills in interfacing DBMS and programs
- A critical understanding of emerging database technologies
Learning Outcomes: Personal Abilities
Industrial, Commercial & Professional Practice Autonomy, Accountability & Working with Others Communication, Numeracy & ICT
- Taking responsibility for own work, taking responsibility in the development of resources, critical reflection on development process and work undertaken by self.
- Critical analysis, evaluation and synthesis of current database and information system technologies leading to original and creative response to design task.
- Effective communication in electronic and written report form.
Assessment: Examination: (weighting – 70%) Coursework: (weighting – 30%)
Re-assessment: Examination: (weighting – 100%)
SCQF Level: 11.