- To introduce the object-oriented paradigm and the use of an object-oriented language.
Course Description: Link to Official Course Descriptor.
Location: ALP, Dubai, Edinburgh.
- Objects and classes
- Class definitions: fields, constructors, methods, parameters
- Selection and iteration
- Object interaction: abstraction, modularisation, types
- Grouping objects: collection classes, iterators, arrays
- Library classes, documentation
- Testing and debugging
- Designing classes: coupling, cohesion, main method
Learning Outcomes: Subject Mastery
Understanding, Knowledge and Cognitive Skills Scholarship, Enquiry and Research (Research-Informed Learning)
- Understanding the object-oriented paradigm
- Awareness of the contrast with other programming paradigms
- Manipulating objects in an IDE
- Understanding and using documentation in an API
- Reading, understanding, adapting, creating, and documenting object-oriented code
Learning Outcomes: Personal Abilities
Industrial, Commercial & Professional Practice Autonomy, Accountability & Working with Others Communication, Numeracy & ICT
- Sharing work with random partners in laboratories using version control(pair programming)
- Deriving and creating own solutions to problems (pdp)
- Competence in the use of a command-line shell (pdp)
- Reading and running code, and modifying it
Assessment Methods: Due to covid, assessment methods for Academic Year 2021/22 may vary from those noted on the official course descriptor. Please see:
- Maths (F1) Course Weightings 2021/22
- Computer Science (F2) Course Weightings 2021/22
- AMS (F7) Course Weightings 2021/22
SCQF Level: 7.