- To impart further techniques of object orientation
- To introduce Graphical User Interface techniques
Location: ALP, Dubai, Edinburgh.
- Inheritance and Generics: hierarchies, subclasses, polymorphism, static and dynamic type, overriding, dynamic method lookup.
- Designing classes: coupling, cohesion, abstraction, modularisation, types
- Abstract classes, abstract methods, interfaces
- State machines & state diagrams GUIs: components, layout, event handling
- Code refactoring and regression testing using Unit testing
Learning Outcomes: Subject Mastery
Understanding, Knowledge and Cognitive Skills Scholarship, Enquiry and Research (Research-Informed Learning)
- Understanding and application/ mastery of the object-oriented paradigm
- Understanding of inheritance and generics.
- Understand how to produce well designed, i.e. extendable and maintainable, code.
- Ability to critically evaluate and improve the quality of code.
- Ability to develop simple state diagrams
- Ability to design and implement simple graphic user interfaces
Learning Outcomes: Personal Abilities
Industrial, Commercial & Professional Practice Autonomy, Accountability & Working with Others Communication, Numeracy & ICT
- Possession of fundamental skills in computer science, applicable throughout the remainder of the degree
- Understanding of the importance of regular working habits (PDP)
- Understanding of the use of chat boards and other devices to learn from and instruct others in the class (PDP)
- Ability to compare and evaluate the applicability of simple data structures to relevant problems (PDP)
SCQF Level: 7.