- To develop knowledge and understanding of fundamental web design concepts and combine these with database structuring and querying techniques applying this knowledge by implementing an easy-to-use website.
Course Description: Link to Official Course Descriptor.
Location: ALP, Dubai, Edinburgh.
- Introduction to web development.
- Information architecture.
- Web design and usability.
- Fundamentals of Mark-up and CSS.
- Introduction to database systems.
- Databases and Information Systems.
- Modelling of data/entity-relationship modelling.
- The relational data model.
- The Structured Query Language (SQL).
- Web-based database applications including the use of PHP.
Learning Outcomes: Subject Mastery
Understanding, Knowledge and Cognitive Skills Scholarship, Enquiry and Research (Research-Informed Learning)
- To explain fundamental web design concepts including usability.
- To implement a simple web site which satisfies current standards and uses a database.
- To describe the use of CSS and mark-up within a web site and the advantage this gives the developer.
- To describe the need for standard XHTML and how this aids cross browser compatibility.
- To have knowledge and understanding of data analysis and structuring techniques.
- To design database structures as a relational data model.
- To implement and query a designed database structure through a web site.
Learning Outcomes: Personal Abilities
Industrial, Commercial & Professional Practice Autonomy, Accountability & Working with Others Communication, Numeracy & ICT
- To analyse complex information and organise it in a structured way for a web site.
- To understand stakeholders’ requirements and address them.
- To design a web site that is easy and cost efficient to manage.
- To analyse data sources and represent them in an efficient structured form.
- Problem solving (PDP).
- Paired work (PDP).
- Time management (PDP).
- Reflection, constructive criticism and learning from peers (PDP).
Assessment: Examination: (weighting – 60%) Coursework: (weighting – 40%)
Re-assessment: Examination: (weighting – 100%)
SCQF Level: 7.