- To introduce core algorithms and data structures used in a wide range of applications in Computer Science
- To further develop skills in algorithm and data structure design, and the development of medium sized programs
Course Description: Link to Official Course Descriptor.
Pre-requisite course(s): F27SB Software Development 2 .
Location: ALP, Dubai, Edinburgh.
- Algorithm and data structure topics including: advanced trees, string processing, graphs, hash tables
- Algorithm/data structure choice, design and deployment
Learning Outcomes: Subject Mastery
Understanding, Knowledge and Cognitive Skills Scholarship, Enquiry and Research (Research-Informed Learning)
- Ability to analyse and hence choose suitable algorithms and data structures for a given problem
- To design and implement medium sized programs based on a range of standard algorithms and data structures and making appropriate use of libraries
- Understanding the distinction between abstract Algebraic Data Type (ADT) properties and concrete ADT realisations
- Appreciation of need for integration of multiple ADTs in substantial programs
- Appreciation of efficiencies/reassurances from ADT reuse
Learning Outcomes: Personal Abilities
Industrial, Commercial & Professional Practice Autonomy, Accountability & Working with Others Communication, Numeracy & ICT
- To be able to critically analyse and hence choose suitable algorithms and data structures for a given problem
- To be able to convey the advantages and disadvantages of alternative data structures and algorithms
- To develop practical problem-solving skills in the context of programming
- To be able to plan & execute a substantial software project
Assessment: Examination: (weighting – 60%) Coursework: (weighting – 40%)
Re-assessment: Examination: (weighting – 100%)
SCQF Level: 8.