- To gain understanding of different language paradigms
- To gain understanding of defining concepts of programming languages
- To develop skills in programming in languages from key paradigms
Course Description: Link to Official Course Descriptor.
Location: ALP, Dubai, Edinburgh, Malaysia.
- Overviews of language history, definition (lexicon, syntax, semantics), implementation (compiler, interpreter, virtual machine)
- Overviews of language paradigms: e.g. imperative (high-level, system, low-level), declarative (functional, logic), concurrency/parallelism
- Overviews of programming language concepts: variable, lvalue & rvalue, assignment (sharing/copying), data abstraction (sequential, structured, recursive, shared/distributed), type mechanisms (weak/strong, static/dynamic, ad-hoc/parametric polymorphism), declaration (scope, extent), control abstraction (sequence, choice, repetition, block, procedure, labels/jumps, exceptions, processes), expression abstraction (functions), parameter mechanisms (value, reference) , evaluation mechanisms (strict/lazy, ordered/unordered, concurrent)
- An introduction to programming in languages from key paradigms e.g.
- scripting: e.g. Python
- declarative/functional: e.g. SML
- declarative/logic: e.g. Prolog
Learning Outcomes: Subject Mastery
Understanding, Knowledge and Cognitive Skills Scholarship, Enquiry and Research (Research-Informed Learning)
- understanding of distinguishing characteristics of language paradigms
- understanding of relationships between languages
- understanding of generic language concepts
- ability to program in languages from key paradigms
- ability to use tool sets for these languages
Learning Outcomes: Personal Abilities
Industrial, Commercial & Professional Practice Autonomy, Accountability & Working with Others Communication, Numeracy & ICT
- understanding of how to choose an appropriate language for different problem domains
Assessment Methods: Due to covid, assessment methods for Academic Year 2021/22 may vary from those noted on the official course descriptor. Please see:
- Maths (F1) Course Weightings 2021/22
- Computer Science (F2) Course Weightings 2021/22
- AMS (F7) Course Weightings 2021/22
SCQF Level: 8.