- An introduction to a range of processes and methods that promote the design of high quaility software systems.
- A perspective of where design sits within the development life-cycle.
Course Description: Link to Official Course Descriptor.
Pre-requisite course(s): F27SA Software Development 1 .
Location: ALP, Dubai, Edinburgh, Malaysia.
- Software process models;
- Architectural styles;
- Design methods and associated notations – including function-oriented, object-oriented and component-based design; design patterns;
- Software development life-cycle issues, with particular focus on requirements engineering, validation and verification (testing).
Learning Outcomes: Subject Mastery
Understanding, Knowledge and Cognitive Skills Scholarship, Enquiry and Research (Research-Informed Learning)
- To demonstrate a critical understanding of software process models and design methods.
- To be able to develop design solutions using a range of structured notations.
- To demonstarte a critical understanding of the context in which software design takes place, in particular requirements engineering and the activities of validation and verification (testing).
Learning Outcomes: Personal Abilities
Industrial, Commercial & Professional Practice Autonomy, Accountability & Working with Others Communication, Numeracy & ICT
- Take responsibility for own work and exhibit critical reflection on development process. (PDP)
- To be able to use appropriate methods and standards for practice and documentation in software engineering and information systems.
- Demonstrate evidence based approaches to problem solving.
- Use a range of numerical and graphical skills in evaluating and communicating ideas, as well as measuring progress toward achieving goals.
Assessment Methods: Due to covid, assessment methods for Academic Year 2021/22 may vary from those noted on the official course descriptor. Please see:
- Maths (F1) Course Weightings 2021/22
- Computer Science (F2) Course Weightings 2021/22
- AMS (F7) Course Weightings 2021/22
SCQF Level: 8.