- To familiarise students with current techniques and paradigms in web programming. To enable them to design and implement robust and scalable web based applications.
Course Description: Link to Official Course Descriptor.
Pre-requisite course(s): F27WD Web Design and Databases or equivalent.
Location: ALP, Dubai, Edinburgh.
- History of web development technologies
- Design patterns (such as REST, Separation of content and presentation, and abstraction of resources)
- Server side programming using an appropriate scripting language
- General architecture of a web server
- Templating systems
- Client side programming topics, including the Document Object Model
- Security relating to web applications
- Deployment, including coping with scale
Learning Outcomes: Subject Mastery
Understanding, Knowledge and Cognitive Skills Scholarship, Enquiry and Research (Research-Informed Learning)
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the history of web programming
- The ability to apply the concepts, patterns and architectures used in web programming to new problems
- Detailed technical skills to use a scripting language for both server side and client side programming
- The ability to make informed decisions about appropriate web technologies to use for a particular task
Learning Outcomes: Personal Abilities
Industrial, Commercial & Professional Practice Autonomy, Accountability & Working with Others Communication, Numeracy & ICT
- Practice in working on a development project in a small group under the guidance of a tutor
- Practice in defining the subject and scope of a development project (PDP)
- Deconstructing a problem and synthesizing a solution
- Time management
Assessment: Examination: (weighting – 50%) Coursework: (weighting – 50%)
Re-assessment: Examination: (weighting – 100%)
SCQF Level: 8.