Course co-ordinator(s): Jenny Coady (Edinburgh).
- To provide students with an overview of information and knowledge management in organisations
- To critically evaluate a range of methods used to develop strategies for information and knowledge management
- To examine the role that knowledge and users play in the learning organisation
- To critically evaluate the value of knowledge and IT for competitive advantage
Course Description: Link to Official Course Descriptor.
Location: ALP, Dubai, Edinburgh.
- Information and Knowledge Management in Organisations
- Principles of Knowledge Management: information mapping and information audits
- Knowledge elicitation and representation
- Information strategy development
- Knowledge and IT for competitive advantage and as a corporate resource
- The learning organisation
- Planning for Knowledge Management within an organisation and the ethical issues which arise
Learning Outcomes: Subject Mastery
Understanding, Knowledge and Cognitive Skills Scholarship, Enquiry and Research (Research-Informed Learning)
- Differentiating between Data, Information and Knowledge
- Understand and evaluate theories and practices of knowledge management in organisations
- Critically evaluate the value of knowledge and IT for competitive advantage
- Compare and contrast methods to develop strategies and planning for knowledge management within organisations
- Examine the rise of the concept of the Learning organisation and how it can aid in competitive advantage
Learning Outcomes: Personal Abilities
Industrial, Commercial & Professional Practice Autonomy, Accountability & Working with Others Communication, Numeracy & ICT
- Evaluating policies and strategies
- Planning for large scale organisations
- Ability to manage directed reading with self-research (PDP)
- Report writing and demonstrating argument development (PDP)
- Use of technology as a means of learning, contributing and discussing (PDP)
Assessment Methods: Due to covid, assessment methods for Academic Year 2021/22 may vary from those noted on the official course descriptor. Please see:
- Maths (F1) Course Weightings 2021/22
- Computer Science (F2) Course Weightings 2021/22
- AMS (F7) Course Weightings 2021/22
SCQF Level: 9.