- For the Operating system part: To provide an introduction to operating systems, their basic principles and shell programming.
- For the Concurrency part: To introduce the theory and practice of concurrent hardware and software systems
Course Description: Link to Official Course Descriptor.
Location: ALP, Dubai, Edinburgh.
- For the Operating system part: overview on operating systems concepts and structures, processes, threads, classical inter-process communication problems, memory management.
- For the Concurrency part: Concurrency, Parallelism, Pthreads. Parallelism Pattern: Pipelining, Data-Parallelism, Nested Data-Parallelism, Flattening, Task-Parallelism, Data-Flow.
Learning Outcomes: Subject Mastery
Understanding, Knowledge and Cognitive Skills Scholarship, Enquiry and Research (Research-Informed Learning)
For the Operating systems part:
- Understanding of the concepts and structures present in modern operating systems.
For the Concurrency part:
- Broad and integrated knowledge and understanding of concurrency concepts, techniques and problems
- Critical understanding of predominant concurrency pattern and their implementation on modern architectures
- Hands-on experience
Learning Outcomes: Personal Abilities
Industrial, Commercial & Professional Practice Autonomy, Accountability & Working with Others Communication, Numeracy & ICT
- Critically evaluate the problematic and concepts related to operating systems.
- Analysis of the different possible solutions to leveraging concurrency for parallel execution.
Assessment: Examination: (weighting – 60%) Coursework: (weighting – 40%)
Re-assessment: Examination: (weighting – 100%)
SCQF Level: 9.