- To equip students with knowledge and skills for the effective management of a group project which encompasses the software development lifecycle
- To enable students to reinforce their knowledge and skills gained in software processes, internet technology, database management and interaction design
- To build students understanding, knowledge and skills in teamwork, software development in groups, and project planning.
- To enable students to develop a broader understanding of the interrelationship of development life-cycles and a critical capability in the selection of tools and methods to support project planning, systems analysis, requirements capture, and system specification.
Course Description: Link to Official Course Descriptor.
Linked course(s): F29PD Professional Development Synoptic Course..
Location: ALP, Dubai, Edinburgh, Malaysia.
- Review and extension of the components studied in earlier years which contribute to the group project
- Software project management including working in groups, project planning and costing, risk assessment
- Use of Industry-level Standards for software development and documentation, covering aspects such as change control and requirements traceability
- Further study of software development tools, especially version control
Learning Outcomes: Subject Mastery
Understanding, Knowledge and Cognitive Skills Scholarship, Enquiry and Research (Research-Informed Learning)
- A broad and integrated understanding and knowledge of the various development and programming paradigms, software development life-cycles, teamwork and project planning
- Detailed theoretical and practical knowledge of the use of methodologies for requirements capture, iterative design, resource capture and management, deployment and evaluation of systems, at a basic level
- Practice in the use of object-oriented programming, databases, scripting and markup languages applied to a substantial project
Learning Outcomes: Personal Abilities
Industrial, Commercial & Professional Practice Autonomy, Accountability & Working with Others Communication, Numeracy & ICT
- Identification, critical analysis and evaluation of the development of a software system (PDP)
- Practice in working in a group, negotiating requirements, reaching a consensus, taking responsibility for own work, taking part in a presentation, and working with others to a deadline (PDP)
- Appreciation of the interrelationship of knowledge domains
SCQF Level: 9.