By the end of the course, students should be able to:
• Understand the basic terminology of set theory, graph theory, linear algebra and probability theory
• Understand how formal mathematical objects like sets, graphs, matrices, recurrence relations arise in computer
science related problems
• Solve elementary counting problems,
• Solve systems of linear equations
• Apply graph algorithms
• Solve simple recurrence relations
• Compute probabilities
• Appreciate the power of mathematical formalisation, facilitated by the use of precise definitions and notations,
in solving practical problems.
• Appreciate the value of careful, quantitative reasoning in analysing problems related to computer science and
to recognise that the outcome of such reasoning can defy naıve intuition
Course Description: Link to Official Course Descriptor.
Location: Dubai, Edinburgh.
Assessment Methods: Due to covid, assessment methods for Academic Year 2021/22 may vary from those noted on the official course descriptor. Please see:
- Maths (F1) Course Weightings 2021/22
- Computer Science (F2) Course Weightings 2021/22
- AMS (F7) Course Weightings 2021/22
SCQF Level: 7.