- To equip students with an understanding of the object oriented paradigm and the process of object oriented design.
- To support the development of object oriented programs in the Java programming language.
- To develop an understanding of window-based systems and their development
Course Description: Link to Official Course Descriptor.
Location: Dubai, Edinburgh.
- Programming in Java: Objects, classes, encapsulation, inheritance, aggregation, polymorphism, abstract classes, interfaces. Constants and variables, primitive data types, reference variables, strings, collection classes, arrays, control structures for selection and iteration
- Methods: Signatures, parameters, return types. I/O File handling. Exceptions.
- Graphical user interface design and implementation: labels, buttons, text fields, sliders, panels, frames; menus & lists; file selection; state-based design.
- Object-oriented design including UML notation: CRC cards, Use cases, Activity diagrams, Interaction diagrams.
Learning Outcomes: Subject Mastery
- Knowledge and understanding of the Java programming model.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of the design and implementation of object oriented solutions to problems. Skill in the use of Java programming language.
- Demonstration of skill in design and implementation of practical GUI based applications
Learning Outcomes: Personal Abilities
- Appreciation of the object oriented approach to software engineering.
- Ability to develop creative solutions to fairly complex problems using the Java programming language.
- Ability to reflect on and refine a proposed solution.
- Design, implement and evaluate an object oriented solution to a problem.
- Awareness of role of interface in mediating between user and system
Assessment: Examination: (weighting – 60%) Coursework: (weighting – 40%)
SCQF Level: 10.