- To provide the student with an opportunity to undertake extensive investigation of an advanced or specialised topic relating to their programme.
- To provide the opportunity to plan and execute a significant project of research, investigation or development.
Course Description: Link to Official Course Descriptor.
Pre-requisite course(s): F21RP Research Methods and Project Planning MSc Level performance in taught courses and 45% or above in F21RP Research Methods & Project Planning.
Location: Dubai, Edinburgh.
This course concerns requirements analysis, design, implementation and evaluation of software systems as appropriate to the specific MSc programme, typically:
- Requirements analysis of software and/or experimental studies on computer systems
- Software and/or experimental design
- Software prototyping and/or implementation of a significant software system OR conduct of substantial piece of empirical research
- Evaluation of software system or experimental studies
- Critical assessment of contributions to research or effectiveness of software solution.
- Presentation of the whole project
Learning Outcomes: Subject Mastery
Understanding, Knowledge and Cognitive Skills Scholarship, Enquiry and Research (Research-Informed Learning)
- Critical understanding of a specialised area including principal theories and concepts.
- Critical knowledge and skills in the application of requirements analysis, design, implementation and evaluation techniques.
Learning Outcomes: Personal Abilities
Industrial, Commercial & Professional Practice Autonomy, Accountability & Working with Others Communication, Numeracy & ICT
- Take responsibility for own work.
- Communicate with peers, senior colleagues and specialists through an extensive dissertation and poster display.
- Develop original and creative responses.
- Apply critical analysis, evaluation and synthesis to advanced or specialised topics.
Assessment Methods: Due to covid, assessment methods for Academic Year 2021/22 may vary from those noted on the official course descriptor. Please see:
- Maths (F1) Course Weightings 2021/22
- Computer Science (F2) Course Weightings 2021/22
- AMS (F7) Course Weightings 2021/22
SCQF Level: 11.