Course co-ordinator(s): Dr Ioannis Konstas (Edinburgh).
- To enable students to develop skills in critical thinking, research planning, academic writing and experimental design appropriate for a post-graduate programme.
- To enable students to gain skills in project planning and an awareness of legal, social and professional issues relevant for IT professionals.
Linked course(s): F21MP Masters Project and Dissertation .
Location: Dubai, Edinburgh.
- Research aims and objectives, literature search, critical analysis and review.
- Technical writing.
- Project planning, testing, risk analysis, requirements and design.
- Human factors in software development.
- Experimental design and software evaluation.
- Professional standards.
- Legal, social, ethical and professional issues in IT.
Learning Outcomes: Subject Mastery
Understanding, Knowledge and Cognitive Skills Scholarship, Enquiry and Research (Research-Informed Learning)
- Ability to write literature review which critically evaluates research and current technical developments against a stated aim.
- Ability to search for and evaluate the value of written and online material.
- A critical understanding of the role of human factors in software development, and of a range of techniques for designing and evaluating with users in mind.
- A detailed understanding of general issues in experimental design, and how to verify a research hypothesis.
- An ability to apply general methodologies for project planning, and more specific methodologies related to IT projects.
Learning Outcomes: Personal Abilities
Industrial, Commercial & Professional Practice Autonomy, Accountability & Working with Others Communication, Numeracy & ICT
- A proper appreciation of current professional standards in software documentation, and professional legal and ethical standards relevant to the IT industry.
- Ability to work independently on a small project, planning and managing time.
- Ability to present work effectively to others, orally and written.
An ability to use software tools appropriate to IT project planning and evaluation.
Assessment: Coursework - weighting 100%
Re-assessment: Coursework - weighting 100% (S3)
SCQF Level: 11.