Introduction to data communications and computer networking
Understanding of the structure of Internet
Understanding of concepts of connection oriented and connectionless communication, and principles of data communication protocols
Course Description: Link to Official Course Descriptor.
Pre-requisite course(s): F28WP Web Programming .
Location: ALP, Dubai, Edinburgh.
- Internet history and organisation, OSI and Internet reference models.
- Link level communications, data transparency, error detection, sliding window protocols
- Network layer protocols, IP, ICMP,
- network routing,
- Transport protocols, TCP, UDP
- Congestion control
- Higher level protocols e.g. HTTP (simple example only)
Learning Outcomes: Subject Mastery
Understanding, Knowledge and Cognitive Skills Scholarship, Enquiry and Research (Research-Informed Learning)
- Understanding of data communication protocols.
- Appreciation of necessity for formal specification and verification of protocols.
- Appreciation of complexity of network infrastructure and sensitivity to parameter choices.
Learning Outcomes: Personal Abilities
Industrial, Commercial & Professional Practice Autonomy, Accountability & Working with Others Communication, Numeracy & ICT
- Appreciation of role of standards in networking
- Appreciation of precision and need for validation in specification of data communication protocols
- Ability to analyse and explain basic issues relating to communication and networking technologies
- Practice in ICT, numeracy and report writing, team working
Assessment: Examination: (weighting – 75%) Coursework: (weighting – 25%)
Re-assessment: Examination: (weighting – 100%)
SCQF Level: 9.